It is currently Wed, 21 Feb 2018 3:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Are Freestyle sites dead? 
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post Are Freestyle sites dead?
I would have to say yes, Freestyle music in general is slow or dead, sites are closed down,the same people on sites.Right now I only visit three sites Clubfreestyle,Freestyleremix and New York Freestyle.I try to check up on other sites but were closed down.Myspace days cleared a lot away and became easier for artist to promote their music etc..Freestyle sites with all the drama & Cyber fights, everyone soon joined myspace to avoid them.You can be friends with who you want and listen to music!Now that Myspace is dead, Facebook & Twitter is the place to be!You can avoid the drama on boards & forums etc..Freestyle artists even closed their own sites!Maybe because facebook is free and has more traffic?Unsure if sites will be up in 5 years, but a lot does change quickly..In a way,I am glad because on facebook, I have people I actually like and want to be friends with..People get to see the real you and get to know you a little.I met so many great people on these sites from friends of friends..or people just knowing my name and face..and yelling Frankie!!!Now facebook does it but even better..If all Freestyle sites die, there still will be something like Facebook that will keep us together..right now I am hearing google is thinking of something new?Well times will keep changing, but the freestyle will keep us together.

Wed, 13 Jul 2011 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Are Freestyle sites dead?
Web 2.0 in general is a huge factor. The big deal with 2.0 is self-publishing, whether it's on social networks or setting up your own forum. You don't have to know HTML anymore. This has spread everything out, and no one site has the same traffic that it used to. You can even see the same thing happening inside Facebook, with all the different Freestyle groups and pages. Do you follow them all, or pick one or two?

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Sure, it seems like you have a direct connection to an artist. But look at it from the artist's perspective: Marketing as we used to do it, is now over. It's hard to get word of a new release out because you don't even know which websites will exist from month to month, even if you were going to hit them all up (just like 1000 other artists will).

How will you discover new artists this way?

What about the fans who refuse to use Facebook or hate Twitter?

I guess things will sort out somehow.

Wed, 13 Jul 2011 2:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

I felt myspace was always a good thing to hear music clips etc and to buy music ,now it slowed down.. dead.Maybe the new owners will fix it??Right now on Facebook almost everyone uses, but there is no music.. only links I think?I think everyone adds so many groups which they rarely visit, which is why I deleted some.In a way facebook does help sales, by everyone sharing info etc..but for new artists I can understand ,it is difficult.For the ones not into FB or twitter, are probably noticing how the sites are dead..Clubfreestyle rarely has any new topics or promotions on music,same on FR & NYF.The music & Entertainment business is a difficult business..people do not buy much music anymore,CD sales down,no more Tower stores,people illegally downloading music etc..I know its not just music..The internet is what happened.All entertainment Music,Film,TV,etc all have been hurt in some way.No matter how great of an artist you are..Today..it is very hard to sell CD's or tickets to shows etc..To sell any CD's to me is a great thing in today's economy.I understand why some artists just put music on itunes not CD because of costs, it does get expensive..which is why we do not hear from artists in a long time,if at all.I talked to many people in freestyle..people are not buying CD's,like they use to.Than you get people saying, why don't Angel of The Cover Girls have a new CD,Judy Torres, Lil'Suzy etc..They gotta survive with their bread & butter, songs people now & they can perform, to put out new music is expensive and risky..you gotta sing songs people know, you gotta get money in somehow.In an era were sales & economy is down..I do understand and support the artists and their choices, we all gotta make money to survive..nothing in this world is for free.Freestyle sites in 5 years?or even better where do I get that new freestyle song or info??..only time will tell

Wed, 13 Jul 2011 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Freestyle Disciple
Freestyle Disciple

I actually went over to CF this week and found it to be pretty dead as well. Sad to see as that place was once thriving!

I like the idea of a forum, so long as the ship has the right course. You need decent moderation. Moderation that is fair, but not tyrannical. I'm with Glenn: there are so many avenues now, that I think you might, and I emphasize might, see the return of traditional forums boost up.

I think twitter is great to follow an artist, not FB. Google+ and Facebook are a good place for labels and/or events being promoted. I find a forum to be the best web venue to get lots of people together talking about a particular topic.

Mon, 02 Jan 2012 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

You never know people might go back when bored with the popular sites and want to visit the past.

Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Never had a MySpace, Twitter, or Facebook account...and don't plan to...

Mon, 06 Feb 2012 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

No twitter, no Facebook, no MySpace accounts. I sure am un-groovy.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 1:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Myspace is dead, no matter what Justin Timberlake tries to tell you. The latest announcement that he wants to make it an all-encompasing entertainment check-in site is a rip-off of http://www.GetGlue.com/ that 1) would never catch up, and 2) they would manage to screw up as usual.

Twitter is a take-it-or-leave-it glue for many things. If you aren't interested, it's skip-able.

But almost everyone I know is on Facebook, and I've made a ton of entertainment business connections there. We also coordinated the recent Classified Records reunion on Facebook, and we will be promoting new releases most heavily there and on YouTube. Gioia Bruno is showing off her new album right now. Don't write it off.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 4:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

@Glenn, I agree..Myspace is dead, No one has sent anything to anyone since 2010..I do check every so often,since only artists are posting and everyone is on facebook or twitter.Unsure how I feel about new changes on FB ,it is starting to look like Myspace.But FB is a great place to get info on events, new music.etc..It just seems the best place to go and can even get faster info on things,FB will be here for awhile,until something new pops up,but yea Myspace days are over.Freestyle sites dead??Probably for Now, but it might change.I still post on Events, so maybe people go see and support Freestyle artists or Reviews to help support sales or give an idea what the New music is about, I think I'm one of very few who still does it and I am thanked by a lot of people and get messages etc..Also besides NewYork Freestyle site which seems to always be up to date...I would say if you don't have Facebook than you should try it, because if you want New Freestyle etc info, they are Not posting on Freestyle sites, it is all on Facebook or Twitter, unless you have someone like myself eventually write all new Freestyle info as soon as I can afford New Music or find info on Events.

Thu, 09 Feb 2012 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]