It is currently Fri, 19 Jan 2018 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 After a series of impressive 2015 Freestyle Release 
Freestyle Genius
Freestyle Genius

Post After a series of impressive 2015 Freestyle Release
2015 saw a series of impressive Freestyle releases and I was really hopeful for 2016. But we're now pretty much half way through the year and the only release that I know of is the San Diego based JGrace when she dropped her video "Love Me" back in February. But other than that it's been pretty quiet.

My favorite Freestyle cuts of 2015 would be.

1. - Wild Style – “Take Me Home”
2. - Pain – “Believe”
3. - Frankie J - "Breakin'"

Anyone got any Freestyle news to share?

FREE Freestyle Downloads
Sekreto's Mysapce

Sun, 17 Apr 2016 2:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Disciple
Freestyle Disciple

Post Re: After a series of impressive 2015 Freestyle Release
Freestyle is really, really at the bottom in my opinion. That J Grace song isn't bad. I felt the best thing of 2015 was Wild Style's, "Take Me Home." That's the best Freestyle I've heard in years. Alas, nothing "quality" is really coming out anymore.

Fri, 29 Jul 2016 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Freestyle Genius
Freestyle Genius

This is true. There has not been a Freestyle song that could complete with mainstream quality. I really don't get it. Other types of music genres do not the same problem of making music in a quality that compete with whats charting.

I've heard J Grace's album, and she goes pretty hard on the classic Freestyle sound on the album with the quality of "Love Me". The thing is that it will take more than one artist to bring Freestyle back to the spotlight.

FREE Freestyle Downloads
Sekreto's Mysapce

Sat, 29 Apr 2017 12:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Advocate
Freestyle Advocate

The new song (or at least one of the new upcoming freestyle type songs) from J. Grace would have to make it really REALLY big in order for other producers to hear it, recognize its success and decide they want to imitate that style of sound, creating a trend.

Other than material from J. Grace, Frankie J (including "Body Rock" featuring Stevie B), WILD STYLE, and possibly the NSR remix of "higher" by Taina, there aren't any current freestyle songs that are likely to fit in and compete successfully with today's hits. Perhaps, there are a few new freestyle songs that could fit in radio mixshows and easily get by with medium mixshow play. "All your soul" by Smalltown DJ's (featuring Deekline and Erica Dee) could get as much recognition now as Wild Style's "Take me home" did on some top 40 radio mixshows in 2015.

Yes, Nu F.E. has presented Karina Skye, who really knows how to sing seductively with passion, but none of the freestyle productions of her songs have beats that sound modern enough to not stand out too much in today's music.

Quadlibet has some good new releases, but those releases also have too many elements in the production style that make it sound a little too old school.

Perhaps, the Adam York Remix of "I don't wanna love you" by Prince Fox ft Melody Noel had the biggest chance of crossover into mainstream radio a year ago today, but some would argue that falls a bit more on the UK 2 Step side.

"Still here" (Stanton's Shambhala Mix) by Stanton Warriors could have a chance if pushed properly and given a radio edit, but we still have a ways to go with mainstream radio before the type of stuff Stanton Warriors produces would even have a chance to be recognized a little bit in top 40.

However, despite all that, a modern freestyle and electrofied miami bass sound (especially electro-freestyle and freestyle bass) still have a chance to make it today - IF done correctly. If you've been observant and continuing to pay attention, you'll notice that certain styles of r&b, pop/soul, and hip hop production beats have strong elements and breakbeat beat patterns (mainly at 90 - 105) that could easily work as modern freestyle productions - IF only those producers made faster uptempo beats while keeping many of the same exact sounds and elements. The new RnBass sound (mostly started by and typically produced by Dj Mustard and Dennis Blaze, and even some of Collipark's remixes) are a good example of this.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

https://hearthis.at/djkdm7000/kdm-rhyth ... x-056/D9r/

https://hearthis.at/djkdm7000/kdm-rhyth ... x-060/hRj/

https://hearthis.at/djkdm7000/kdm-rhythm-hitmix-062/

https://hearthis.at/djkdm7000/kdm-rhyth ... x-061/sgj/

https://hearthis.at/djkdm7000/kdm-rhyth ... x-055/Tb1/

Sat, 13 May 2017 9:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Disciple
Freestyle Disciple

I come back to this forum about as much as I listen to CPR Clubhouse's "countdown." I use that term loosely. Well my friends, we're halfway through 2017 and I haven't heard anything new worth buying or even downloading. Isn't that sad? Wild Style dropped off the face and nothing new has been worth more than 10 seconds or 2-3 skims. I'll keep and ear out, but I won't hold my breath. #goodbyefreestyle

Tue, 27 Jun 2017 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]