It is currently Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Difference Between HD and Standard Definition 
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post The Difference Between HD and Standard Definition
I'm tempted to download all of Stargate Universe's first season episodes from iTunes but I was wondering what the difference between HD (which I know means High Definition) and standard definition is.

What happens if I purchase the standard definition version, which is around $35 and later on in the future I upgrade to an HD TV? Or should I fork over the extra money now for the HD version so I'll be prepared for a future TV upgrade?

One of the reasons I ask is because I eventually plan on hooking up my laptop to my TV (or an upgraded one in the future) after I've upgraded to a newer laptop (who knows when that'll be) and I'd like to start getting away from collecting physical DVDs just as I've done so with physical CDs.

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: The Difference Between HD and Standard Definition
1080p has 6.75 times the total pixels compared to 480p (1920 x 1080 :: 640 x 480). iTunes HD video is 720p (1280 x 720, or 3x more than SD), and is sometimes heavily compressed, but it can be still a lot better than SD for color depth, custom frame rates, etc.

Playing SD video on an HD device, especially a digital one like an LCD panel, looks terrible. There are ways to upscale, yes, but it's still terrible.

I made a similar decision a while ago. I didn't own a Blu-ray player yet, but I also didn't want to waste money on DVDs then be sorry they were in my library a year later, when I bought the HD version. I made the decision to stick with HD at the time, and now I'm very glad I did.

And, at least with iTunes, you'll get the SD version for free with the HD version, so you can actually watch something right now. :)

ps- The picture in your sig doesn't appear to be on your MobileMe account anymore. Didn't they deprecate homepage.mac.com?

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 1:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post Re: The Difference Between HD and Standard Definition
Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I'll go the HD route then.

As far as the siggy pic goes, it'd been so long since I created my siggy that I forgot that that image was hotlinked. I was beginning to wonder why it wasn't showing. Ha ha ha.

That homepage feature is no more and I need to figure out what to do with all the images I uploaded. I believe I can still access them and I'll try to find out if I can hotlink images uploaded to the mobileme gallery that replaced homepage.

Sun, 12 Dec 2010 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]