It is currently Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Reel Fun! 
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post Reel Fun!
Good evening!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread for folks to post up their audio projects/experiments to share and comment on.

It can be any project or experiment you want, not just remixes or edits.

To start, I thought I'd share part of a project I'm working on.

Early recording history fascinates me and so, I have a collection of recordings dating from the 1890s to the 1910s. An important figure during that era was Scott Joplin who was instrumental in popularizing Ragtime music. Unfortunately for us, he never recorded his work on any sound medium. His songs were only published as sheet music.

While many musicians after Joplin have made recordings of his compositions, none have been as successful as Joshua Rifkin's 1970 recording titled, "Scott Joplin Piano Rags."

I have this CD and I think it's really awesome except for one tiny little problem only I can create. :lol:

Early 20th century recording technology was in its infancy and very primitive resulting in cylinders (flat disc records were not the dominant medium in those days, but that's another history lesson) that sounded very tinny and mega scratchy. So when I put my Joshua Rifkin songs and my other songs from that time period into a playlist, the result is very jarring when I listen to something that was recorded in 1905 with its scratches and white noise and all of its imperfections next to my Joshua Rifkin songs with its pristine, near-perfect CD quality sound. It just sounds waaayyyy anachronistic.

Because I'm such a tinkerer I decided to do something about it. I'm taking that CD and degrading the songs to make them sound like they were recorded way back in the early 1900s.
I figured it'd be a fun thing to do. It also means I have no life, but I digress.

I wasn't able to upload the original file I was working with due to SoundCloud's copyright filter so I decided to provide an iTunes link to the song itself. Btw, if you don't have this album I highly recommend you get it. It's pretty interesting stuff to listen to.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/entert ... i=83146445

Here is my 1903 simulation:

I sped it up so the duration would be just about 3 minutes which was more or less the maximum recording time for a wax cylinder from those days, got rid of the hi-fidelity sound, added some white noise and used a vinyl plug-in and here is the result.

Whaddya think?

Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:41 am
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post Re: Reel Fun!
Just thought I'd post up something else.

A little project to fix what I didn't like about the club mix for "Dreamin'" by Jennifer Glass. I always felt the beginning and end of the song was uninteresting so I decided to "fix" it because I like to tinker.

This is the version I edited from the CD I was lucky enough to find a few years ago and it's now available as a download on iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dreami ... d429450369

This is what I did to it. Nothing much, just added a little salt and pepper.

Any comments?

Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:21 pm
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post Re: Reel Fun!
Just thought I'd post something I had fun working with.

Nina Martinez - Gimme Just 1 Night

Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]