It is currently Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 FAIL! 
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post FAIL!
Who among iPhone users have opted to hold off on upgrading to iOS 6 because of Apple's new maps? I've always felt that was the absolutely best thing about iPhone when I first got on board back in 2007. In my line of work I used Maps everyday and came to depend on it to get my job done. Even now, being semi-unemployed it's still plenty useful.

Now that Apple screwed up a good thing, I wonder if Google will release an app and Apple will approve it.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 3:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: FAIL!
So you haven't tried Maps, either. :D

Sure, it has some stitching problems in 3D mode (the wavy bridges), and Yelp's database doesn't contain some points of interest (yet), but it's not 10% as bad as the haters are saying. Or even lying about. I've tested it with traffic and directions, and it works great.

On a superficial/design level, it looks FAR better and rendering is smooth as silk. It makes Google maps look 8-bit. Siri interaction with directions is killer.

Worst case, Google Maps still works fine via Mobile Safari. Bookmark it like an app, have both, done deal.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 4:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Admittedly I haven't gone to an Apple store to look at it first hand but just looking at all the images from the articles gives me pause. I couldn't care less about Flyover and stuff like that but the maps themselves don't appear to show much detail such as building footprints, names of buildings on campuses, street arrows to indicate one way streets, outlines of properties, the differentiation between major and minor roads, just a bunch of little things that I used all the time to keep me from losing time. I would even use satellite view to help me make informed decisions as to how and where to approach a given destination. Nothing is more embarrassing than pulling into someplace with a 65 foot vehicle only to discover you totally came in the wrong way and you either have to back out or worse, you've gotten stuck. In fact, if Google had included truck routes, a multi-stop router and truck ETAs I would've called it the perfect app.

I'm sure all that you mentioned is true as far as rendering goes and the like and I know I could bookmark Google maps in mobile Safari but that just doesn't seem very Apple-like for lack of a better term. And what would happen to all of the addresses I've bookmarked over the years as well? That was also another time saver. I doubt Google maps in Safari would even have that without me having to manually re-enter all that info. It just seems I would lose a lot of functionality.

I guess well see what happens in the coming months.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 4:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

All of the above, I think (except maybe buildings inside a campus, which is a recent Google thing and very cool!). It just depends how far you zoom in. Though I obviously don't use Maps like you do. For one, I never bookmarked anything inside the app, so I can't be sure if those carried over. But it does still have my "Recents" list going back beyond iOS 5.

If you want me to look up a specific location so you can compare, let me know!

Attachment:
IMG_1442.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1441.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1443.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 5:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Those do appear to have the detail I've come to rely on. I'll definitely need to head to a store to put Maps through its paces. To me, it's like being asked to give up a tool you know works very well and replacing it with something unknown. I used Maps every hour of every day while I was working and while I have no intention of going back to my previous vocation, you never know.

Anyways, thanks for the attachments and they sort of put my mind at ease.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 5:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hear you 100%, but if Google was just going to let their original Google/Apple Maps flounder with no turn-by-turn directions, or anything else that Android was getting, I'm down with Apple's decision. That said, I hope Apple does pour a TON of feedback and engineering into this app from now on, because I am still a big fan of Google Maps and Street View (on the web), and it will need to compete.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 5:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Oh definitely. If Steve Jobs were still alive I'm sure he'd polish Maps with maniacal perfection.

Hopefully Tim Cook realizes what a mountain Apple needs to climb to beat Google at the map game.

Deep down inside I kinda knew this day was coming when I realized the extent of Google's and Apple's rivalry. It was only a matter of time. Btw, doesn't Eric Schmidt look kinda creepy? Ha ha ha.

Last edited by Quixotic on Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 6:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eric Schmidt is the ultimate shady creeper. Aside from how he looks (check out his younger pics!), all of those privacy "mistakes" happened under his watch as well. I don't think he cared so much about the Google motto while he was CEO, more about simply making money. And he still uses a Blackberry! Glad he's out of that seat and off of Apple's board.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 6:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Genius
Freestyle Genius

Personally speaking, I think both Apple and Google are both great and shitty companies at the same time. I love both of their products, but have issues with both conpanies and acepts of their over all philosophy.

That why I joking call them both (as one) Skynet.

I am now on my second Nexus phone, started out with the Nexus One, now have a Galaxy Nexus. The Maps and nagivation is one of the most important thing for me. Google Maps for Android is truly amazing. Also I am a heavy Voice Actions user, use that every day since Google first introduced it back in early 2010.

I will add, that not only does Google's Android version of Google Maps have more features, and ran smooth as hell on my Nexus, but every single Google App is build that way for Android, with tons of exclusive Android features that the ios version never had.

FREE Freestyle Downloads
Sekreto's Mysapce

Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Throw Amazon in there, too. They want to be like Google and Apple, they just aren't very good at the coding yet. :)

Quixotic — Also check out the MapQuest app. You can do that from iOS 5. I installed it a while ago because it was the first app that did turn-by-turn spoken directions for free. (MapQuest is owned by AOL now, so they could afford to do that.) Many people are now apparently turning to that app, some saying it's always been better than the old Google/Apple Maps app ever was.

Sun, 30 Sep 2012 3:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Genius
Freestyle Genius

You know, I'm gonna download the MapQuest App for Android and compare it to Android's fully loaded Google Maps.

FREE Freestyle Downloads
Sekreto's Mysapce

Sun, 30 Sep 2012 7:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Genius
Freestyle Genius

Wow!

I've been playing with the Android version of the MapQuest app and it definitely is wayyyyy better than the Google Maps iOS had. However, when comparing it to Android's version of Google Maps, it does fall short on some features, like showing you 2 alternate routes and the original route with ETA, milage and traffic delays at the sometime. It also doesn't show you public transportation info, which I can care less about. I would miss Earth View, but I don't actually look at the map that much when I'm driving anyways. I usually connect my. Phone to the stereo via Bluetooth and let the Android chick voice speak over the music that's playing ( It lowers the music when speaking).
A cool feature that MapQuest has which either Google Maps doesn't have or I either never noticed it is Night Mode. It shows you how the map would look at night.

Over all, I'd say MapQuest is about 80% where the Android version of Google Maps now stands. Which are all secondary features anyways. Great App. Now to download the iOS version and see if they're the same, I'm pretty sure they are. Usually major apps are identical with the exception of sometimes it may have a button in a slightly different position, but always the same features

FREE Freestyle Downloads
Sekreto's Mysapce

Sun, 30 Sep 2012 8:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Ha ha!

That pic of Schmidt totally looks like that nerd guy on Robot Chicken!

Glenn, I'll check out MapQuest. I've had other people sing its praises as well.

Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]