It is currently Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Absolute frustration with my PowerBook 
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Post Absolute frustration with my PowerBook
I am 200% frustrated with my PowerBook!

This morning I woke it up so I could do some things but I got distracted with other things. Around 3pm I finally got back to it and I noticed the clock on the menu bar said 11am. Well that's weird I thought but I forgot all about it because I got distracted with more stuff. I just now got back to it again and I finally realized that the screen was frozen. Ok, no biggie. I'll just do a force quit. That didn't work. Ok. I'll do a forced shutdown. It shut down just fine. So I restarted it and now I'm absolutely frustrated.

The startup sound works, I can hear the hard drive spin up and the fan is working but the monitor is dark and the sleep indicator light just stays on. I've shut it down and restarted it repeatedly and the thing just won't work.

I'm getting super massively pissed off right now because I don't have any money to get anything fixed. Oh, and I cant insert any CDs in the drive because that's another thing that needed a repair. I feel just like Kurtis Blow in "The Jungle".

I'm so angry.

Sun, 16 Dec 2012 6:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Absolute frustration with my PowerBook
If you're lucky: Try removing the RAM and reseating it.

If you're not lucky: That didn't work and your HD has been slowly dying all this time (maybe even causing the iTunes wish list behavior).

Any chimes aside from the startup sound? Are the fans running amok?

Not having a working optical drive is going to make any other diagnosis impossible on an older machine, since we can't factory-disc boot or use Apple Hardware Test. You may be able to find an external Firewire DVD-ROM drive (or DVD burner) for under $40. That'll work, assuming the only other issue is the HD.

If your Powerbook has USB 2.0, consider that over Firewire, only because your next Mac (or PC) will more likely have a free USB port than a free Firewire port.

Sun, 16 Dec 2012 6:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

I had been thinking of getting an inexpensive CD-DVD drive before I ended up unemployed. I wish I had followed through with that.

Now I'm just screwed. I just hope my hobby projects are safe. Some of them haven't been moved to my external. If the HD is the culprit then that would be pretty ironic since my Performa still works just fine. But with things going the way they are, who knows how long that'll last.

Sun, 16 Dec 2012 7:13 pm
Freestyle Guru
Freestyle Guru

Ha ha ha.

I still haven't gotten around to getting that damn thing fixed.

I'm using Morse code to acces the Internet these days.

Thu, 02 Jul 2015 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]